December 26, 2014

You Can Accomplish Your New Year's Resolutions!


You Can Accomplish Your New Year's Resolutions!

Why do many of us start out the New Year with wonderful intent to better ourselves, only to miserably fail? A study conducted last year by The University of Scranton, stated that only 8% of people ended up successfully keeping and achieving their New Year’s Resolutions. These statistics can be far from inspiring for us go-getters to read.

For many years now, my New Year’s Resolutions have been to lose weight and stay fit. Typically, I begin January fully motivated about maintaining my goals. Then, after only a few weeks (If I make it that far) I feel overwhelmed and my willpower dramatically declines. I slowly just become less driven to continue making changes and end up giving up on it all. You might even find me soon eating a bowl of ice cream while watching The Biggest Loser or Extreme Weight Loss on TV. But wait... this New Year will be different, right?!?! 

After much thought, I've decided that I need to use a better approach to reach success in 2015. Listed below are a few strategies that I'm looking forward to using.



1. Include Resolutions Within Prayer Life
God wants us to ask, seek, knock, and put all of our trust in him (Matthew 7:7). And it's through him, we have strength and the ability to accomplish anything (Philippians 4:13).

2. Make Resolutions To Glorify God
In all our decision making, we are to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel (Philippians 1:27). An example: If your resolution is to quit smoking, focus on your body being a temple of the Holy Spirit and honoring God by being healthier (1 Corinthians 6:19).

3. Live One Day At A Time
♪♫♬ "Lord help me today, show me the way, One day at a time." ♬♫♪ Do you recognize those lyrics from that sweet ole hymn? It's such a great song to remind us of Jesus' command to not worry about tomorrow (Matthew 6:34). We can become overwhelmed if we jump the gun and get distracted with thoughts of the future. By setting daily goals based around our resolution, we may be able to keep a steady pace and accomplish more than we thought!  

New Year's Resolutions From A Biblical Perspective

Scripture References:

Matthew 7:7
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Philippians 1:27

The only thing that matters is that you continue to live as good citizens in a manner worthy of the gospel of the Messiah. Then, whether I come to see you or whether I stay away, I may hear all about you—that you are standing firm in one spirit, struggling with one mind for the faith of the gospel

1 Corinthians 6:19
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.